A simple GTK+ hangman game inspired by bsd-games’ hangman.
“Don’t Hang” is a simple hangman game for acquiring and consolidating a basic vocabulary in a foreign language. It supports loading custom word lists and works with Unicode and bidirectional text. It also supports pasting characters from the clipboard.
It is free software and also publicly available at no cost.
Sat 29 July 2017
“Don’t Hang” version 1.1 released
I am happy to announce the release of version 1.1 of “Don’t Hang”, a simple GTK+ hangman game. You can download it here.
- This is the first time “Don’t Hang” has its own Web page.
- A Turkish and Russian translation has been added.
- The guessed word’s font size now depends on window size.
- All whitespace is initially visible now, not just the space character.
- Fixes crash when opening an empty file with no lines.
- Fixes CRLF line endings not being interpreted correctly.
- Fixes angle brackets being misinterpreted as Pango markup.
- Fixes keyboard focus not being on word input after opening a file.
- Fixes display of bidirectional text (but only without weak characters).
- Miscellaneous build system fixes.
Special thanks go to my friends Merve and Assel who supplied various translations and I also want to mention my cousin Marlene without whose enjoyment of a hangman game demo I wrote for my GTK+ workshop last year I would not have brought this game to a stand-alone release.
- “Don’t Hang” version 1.1 Source code.
- Current development version.
- “Don’t Hang” for Arch Linux and derivative GNU distributions such as Parabola GNU/Linux-libre.
- “portable” binaries without installer if you are still using Windows, all built using MSYS2 for which the source files are available at their home page.
“Don’t Hang” by default uses the words from the /usr/share/dict directory, but it can deal with any list of expressions in a text file with one expression per line.Here is an example word list file compiled with words from Wiktionary’s list of 1000 basic English words which you can use if you want simpler words.This sample word list is available under the terms of the CC-BY-SA 3.0 Unported license, because Wiktionary uses this license and the words are taken from there.
Please note that all words in the sample word list have been deliberately converted to upper case. The reason is that “Don’t Hang” displays words in upper case and storing the words in lower case would lead to errors in some locales, e.g. the English word “is” would become “İS” in a Turkish locale.← Back to home page